Wednesday 9 January 2013

Woolworths + grapes + bra = embarrassment

Dear friends

I had a slightly embarrassing encounter at Woolworths yesterday.  I have recovered enough to actually talk about it.

I always have this plan to just go into Woolworths for two or so items.  That's the plan.....but as we all know it is not easy to stick to two items only when entering the food section.

To be exact, I wanted Rocket and Watercress for my low carb salad.  That is all.  That is why I made the decision not to take a basket as I did not need one for only two items.  Makes sense, if I did not know myself better. 

Oh, I had a black padded,push up bra on a hanger in my hands as well, but it did not count as it was hanging from one finger.

Needless to say, by the time I made my way to the pay point, I had the Rocket leaves, Watercress, a Pork Roast, Pork Ribs and two containers of grapes (there was a special on the grapes), and the bra in my hands.  I found it quite difficult to balance the whole lot, but I managed.....up to an unfortunate point, to keep it all under control.

The moment the grapes started slipping I knew there was a moment of embarrassment in my future.  I tried my best to save my purchases, but to no avail.  Each item (including the bra) chose a direction and landed on the floor.  The grapes in a particular noisy way and with that one of the containers opened and grapes started rolling away from me towards other paying customers.

What I still find really mind boggling is the fact that so many of them were separated from their original bunch!  I felt all eyes on me.  I started retrieving the run away grapes (some in bunches) in a hurry hoping that not too many people saw me.  But wait....do you really think it would go so smoothly from here?  Knowing me?  NOOOO....the gentleman behind me started helping me to round up the grapes which started having a life of their own.  Nice of him you would say.  The only problem I had was, that he started scooping up the ones which landed in my upside down, stand on its own bra cups and after finishing being so helpful and well mannered, handed me the grapes and the bra....still on its hanger.

My ears were burning and I could not make eye contact, but I managed a smile and a thank you and waited for the automated voice to say - `Next customer please'

No comments:

Post a Comment